How to convert GPT to MBR disk for free and without data loss? Read this tutorial and learn how to safely convert GPT disk to MBR disk.
Master Boot Record (MBR) disks use the standard BIOS partition table. GUID Partition Table (GPT) disks use Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI). One advantage of GPT disks is that you can have more than four partitions on each disk. GPT is also required for disks larger than two terabytes (2 TB).
Solution 1: Convert GPT to MBR disk with EaseUS Partition Master
EaseUS Partition Master can directly convert GPT disk to MBR disk without any data loss. It’s better than using Windows Disk Management and Command Prompt because it doesn’t require to delete the disk volumes.
- Install and run EaseUS Partition Master
- Select the GPT disk that you want to convert to MBR then choose “Convert GPT to MBR“
- Choose “Apply” to perform the converting process. All of your data is safe with this solution
Solution 2: Convert GPT to MBR disk with Windows Disk Management
- Right-click on My Computer -> Manage -> Store -> Disk Management (make sure you are using Administrator account)
- Right-click the GPT hard disk which you want to convert to MBR disk and choose “Delete volume“.
This action would cause data loss if there are important data in your disk volume. And it’s highly recommended for you to backup important data in GPT before deleting volumes on it.
- Right click on the GPT disk (which becomes new volume after deleting all volumes on it) and choose “Convert to MBR Disk“.
After you convert GPT disk to MBR disk, you can create partitions on the now MBR disk if you like.
Solution 3: Convert GPT to MBR disk with Command Prompt
You must run Command Prompt as Administrator and backup everything in the disk that you want to convert
- Type diskpart then list disk
- Type select disk 1 to select the disk you want to convert (the number is maybe different). Then type detail disk. This will give you a list of volumes on the selected disk. If you do not have any volumes listed, then you can go to step 4.
- Type select volume 5 and press enter. Type delete volume and press enter.Repeat steps 3 for each volume listed in step 2 until you have deleted all the volumes.
- Type select disk 1 and press enter. Type convert mbr and press enter.
- Type exit and press enter